We are continuing a series of episodes comparing Jesus to superheroes. This series will tackle wrong ideas about Jesus from church history in chronological order. A superhero will represent each of these ideas.
Is Jesus Like Iron Man?
How are Jesus and Iron Man (Tony Stark) similar?
- They are both fully human.
- They are both highly intelligent.
- They both sacrificed the wealth they have to save the world.
How are Jesus and Iron Man different?
- Iron Man is a human person driving a super ("divine") suit.
- Jesus is a divine person driving a human suit...or, wait...is that right?
Who was Apollinaris the Younger and what is Apollinarianism?
- Apollinaris let his philosophy define his theology.
- Apollinaris fought Arianism so hard that he sacrificed the full humanity of Jesus.
- He basically believed that Jesus was "God in a bod"--that Jesus replaced the rational mind of his human nature with His own divine Logos.
Who were the Cappadocian fathers?
- Basil of Caesarea
- Gregory of Nyssa
- Gregory of Nazianzus
How did Gregory of Nazianzus argue against Apollinarianism?
- "What is not assumed is not healed"
- Assuming a human rational soul does not subject Jesus to corruption any more than a body would.
- Jesus is not "man" or the "Son of Man" if He didn't take on the whole human nature.
Are there problems with apologist William Lane Craig's "neo-Apollinarianism"?
Early Church Texts, "Gregory of Nazianzus - Critique of Apollinarius and Apollinarianism"
Reasonable Faith, "Does Dr. Craig Have an Orthodox Christology?"
2 Corinthians 8:9
Hebrews 2:6-9, 17